Bonus Episode | An Interview with Dr. Siu-Lan Tan
Robert and Kenny begin the show discussing film scores that didn’t qualify for the 2019 Academy Awards, including John Powell and John Williams’ score for SOLO: A Star Wars Story which notably missed the deadline for submission.
Then music psychologist and author Dr. Siu-Lan Tan, who is featured in SCORE: A Film Music Documentary and Score: The Podcast Season 1, joins the show to discuss her fascinating studies of film music. She explains why music can give us goosebumps, the use of eye-tracking, the “ventriloquism effect” and many more ways we can be affected while watching a film or television series.
In honor of this bonus episode’s guest, we dug up the very first episode of The Inside Track with Dr. Siu-Lan Tan to revisit how composers use the final notes of a film to manipulate your feeling about the ending.
Lastly, Kenny and Robert get to some audience questions sent in over social media for Dr. Tan. She discusses why the choir has such an emotional impact on us, why themes and motifs help tell the story and why certain instruments are used to create moods. To close out the episode, Kenny selects a lucky listener as the winner of an autographed copy of Dr. Tan’s book, Psychology of Music: From Sound to Significance, Second Edition.
Follow us on Twitter @ScoreThePodcast.
Hosts: Robert Kraft & Kenny Holmes Executive Producer: Matt Schrader Copyright 2018 Score: The Podcast
SUBSCRIBE, REVIEW AND WIN
We periodically give away a free Collector's Edition copy of SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY! Subscribe and leave a review on Apple Podcasts and help us build our audience!
Google Play: https://playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&apn=com.google.android.music&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/I5p3wgxku35v7fxy2mnb7ev7eg4?t%3DScore:_The_Podcast%26pcampaignid%3DMKT-na-all-co-pr-mu-pod-16
Also available on Spotify.
Review on iPhone or iPad
1. Launch the Apple Podcasts app.
2. Tap the Search tab (on the bottom right) and enter “Score: The Podcast” in the search. Look for the SCORE logo to appear.
3. Select Score: The Podcast, and then tap the Reviews tab.
4. Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
5. Before pressing Send, take a screenshot of your review by pressing the Home and Power buttons on your iPhone at the same time. This is your proof of entry to win an autographed copy of SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY. (Be sure you remember to hit Send after!)
(Optional) 6. Tweet us your screenshot @ScorethePodcast. This way we’ll be able to contact you through Twitter, as the Podcasts app does not allow us to contact you. Pat yourself on the back for helping launch this podcast! Bravo, maestro!
Review on Android
1. Go to Score: The Podcast’s page on Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/score-the-podcast
2. Tap on the stars to rate the show and leave a review! (You may need to create an account to leave a review, if you haven’t already.)
3. Before pressing Send, take a screenshot of your review by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons on your Android device at the same time (hold for 1 second). This is your proof of entry to win an autographed copy of SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY. (Be sure you remember to hit Send after!)
(Optional) 4. Tweet us your screenshot @ScorethePodcast. This way we’ll be able to contact you through Twitter, as the Stitcher app does not allow us to contact you. Pat yourself on the back for helping launch this podcast! Bravo, maestro!
Review on iTunes (Windows or MacOS X)
1. Open iTunes or click on this link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/score-the-podcast/id1357882784.
2. Search for “Score: The Podcast” and look for the SCORE logo to appear.